Saturday, May 21, 2011

My Favorite Romantic Quote

"When the day shall come, that we do part," he said softly, and turned to look at me, "if my last words are not 'I love you'-ye'll ken it was because I didna have time."

In this final scene of Diana Gabaldon's "The Fiery Cross," Jaime Frasier is fearful for his future and the future of his family. He has made a decision that could result in capture, torture, and death, not only of himself, but all those he loves as well. Claire is attempting to make Jaime realize how brave he is, but Jamie believes that to be brave, one must have a choice in doing difficult or harmful tasks, making impossible decisions. He feels that he has not been brave simply because he has not had the 'clear vision' to make those choices, but instead, has been catapulted into terrible situations time and again, without any true choice. Claire knows that Jamie has made many difficult choices during his lifetime.

Now, he does make a clear choice. He chooses to fight a war in a foreign land, one that is not his own. But, this is a war he finds he must now embrace as his own. This is his clear vision, yet he does not believe he is a brave man.

The "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon is one of my favorite series because it reeled me in, held me captive, and made me feel as though I personally knew the characters. Diana has a unique magic with words that is unparalleled by most writers, making her one of the masters!

No comments:

Post a Comment