Thursday, August 28, 2014

Getting to Know My Favorites!

Today's Task: I'm going to do a bit of promotion. That's to say that I'm going to give a few quick links that might help you get to some of the favorite things that I mentioned yesterday! I'm thrilled to share.


Let's begin with the masters, and I say that loosely because I do believe that every one of the writers that I've mentioned are masters, but I refer, mainly, to the writers that are no longer on this earth. So...here goes!

I'm going to start with Charlotte Perkins Gilman whose work often centered around the oppression of women , which can be heard in her words: “There is no female mind. The brain is not an organ of sex. Might as well speak of a female liver."

You can find out more about her by going to this link:

 http://www.charlotteperkinsgilman.com/2008/05/about-charlotte-perkins-gilman-1860.html


I'm going to give you a little extra here, by posting my favorite part of 'The Yellow Wallpaper' because it shows her mind at the time she wrote this piece.

It is a big, airy room, the whole floor nearly, with windows that look all ways, and air and sunshine galore. It was nursery first and then playroom and gymnasium, I should judge; for the windows are barred for little children, and there are rings and things in the walls.
The paint and paper look as if a boys' school had used it. It is stripped off--the paper--in great patches all around the head of my bed, about as far as I can reach, and in a great place on the other side of the room low down. I never saw a worse paper in my life.
One of those sprawling flamboyant patterns committing every artistic sin.
It is dull enough to confuse the eye in following, pronounced enough to constantly irritate and provoke study, and when you follow the lame uncertain curves for a little distance they suddenly commit suicide--plunge off at outrageous angles, destroy themselves in unheard of contradictions.
The color is repellent, almost revolting; a smouldering unclean yellow, strangely faded by the slow-turning sunlight.
It is a dull yet lurid orange in some places, a sickly sulphur tint in others.
No wonder the children hated it! I should hate it myself if I had to live in this room long.

You can read the 'rest of the story' here for free! 
http://dlfreebooks.com/2014/08/27/yellow-wallpaper-by-charlotte-perkins-gilman/

Next time I think I'm going to tell you all about “Glory” by Vladimir Nabokov. I think I might have to post a surprise as well! See you then!


No comments:

Post a Comment