Monday, February 9, 2015

INTERVIEW WITH AUTHOR OF THE "WEAVER" SERIES, VAUN MURPHREY!

Email: Vaun.Murphrey@yahoo.com


I'd like to welcome author Vaun Murphrey to the blog today. She is an incredible lady with a great series on the shelves today entitled “The Weaver Series.” Let's find out a little about her now!


Vaun, tell us a little about yourself...where did you grow up...family life...where are you now...where do you see yourself (physically) in the future?

I grew up an Air Force brat. This meant my vacations weren’t spent at Disney Land but with family we rarely got to see. It created a home base feel at my Mamaw Ruby’s house in Gastonia, NC. Her yard and screened in porch were my favorite places to play in the summer. Every time she mailed us care packages I would hold what she sent to my nose and breathe in the scent of their house – a queerly clean mixture of my Papaw James’ pipe smoke and her White Shoulders powder. I loved to watch my Mamaw stand in in kitchen and peel peaches. She wielded a paring knife with precision and I’m certain she could’ve been a masterful surgeon. Her advice and presence comforted children and adult alike. My father’s mother was a rare woman - discerning and strong with a quiet grace. Sadly she passed away but her memory is inside me forever.
Currently I live in Lubbock, TX and it’s the longest I’ve lived in any one place, twenty four years now. My parents live loud – two potent personalities that created three daughters who couldn’t be more different.
All in all I feel I have a wonderful and imperfect life with my husband of almost fifteen years, our two sons and our four-legged fur child.
Where do I see myself physically in the future? Huh, I guess doing exactly what I’m doing now but hopefully wiser for the years.

ME: It does sound as though you had a wonderful childhood and that you learned the art of love from your family. Congrats on your long marriage, too. It is rare these days. I have a fur child at this time as well. My children grew up with at least one dog in the house at all times. Good for them, I think, to have furry friends.
If you could live anywhere in the world, where would that be?

The Smoky Mountains. I love the rounded green sea of trees with occasional valleys and old farmhouses with smoke spewing chimneys. That dream will likely never happen due to family life and circumstance but it’s a dream I’ll always keep. 

 
ME: You never know, Vaun...dreams do sometimes come true!
What do you like to do in your spare time, if you have any?

The ‘spare time’ I do get is devoted to reading other authors and painting or drawing. Television is a rare indulgence. A three year old and a six year old aren’t in favor of parents at rest.

ME: Never! I had four little ones at one time...all grown now, so I can commiserate!
What inspired you to become a writer?

The love of reading inspired me to write. My imagination is never still. I’ve been writing since age eight and I attended a Creative Writing course at McMurry University in Abilene, TX while my mother was getting her Bachelors there. It was exciting and I wasn’t intimidated – only challenged. I believe that experience cemented my love of the written word.

ME: I have to say that the books that I have read are what gave me the inspiration to write, as well. There are some amazing authors in this world. Some that are no longer with us, too.
What is your favorite genre to read?

My favorite genre to read is hard to pin down. I love a good paranormal mystery but I also love science fiction and fantasy. Currently I’m in love with the Kate Daniels series by the husband and wife writing team named Ilona Andrews.
 
ME: I feel the same, Vaun. I enjoy reading all sorts of genre. And, the Kate Daniels series is wonderful!
Who is your favorite author?

My favorite author changes each time I read a new book. At the moment I’d say it’s Patricia Briggs. I’m a devotee. If she ever held a signing in Lubbock I’d be on it like white on rice.

ME: I have never read her work, I guess it's something that I have to check out. I feel the same about Diana Gabaldon and Kevin Hearne!
If you could have only one book, which book would it be?

Carl Sagan’s The Demon Haunted World – Science as a Candle in the Dark would suit me fine.

ME: That sounds like a good one!
What do you dislike the most about writing?

The doubt. Each session at the keys brings forth a wealth of demons. I fight them constantly.

ME: I have similar ones. I think we all do, Vaun. Here are a few really quick questions for you. I promise not to interrupt!
What do you like most about writing?

Freedom and control. I don’t have to follow any set rules as to how I build my imaginary world. As long as they work for myself and my audience then its game on.

ME: Is there any aspect of humanity and the world today that really gets you angry?

Apathy. Fear that causes anger. The aversion to anything new due to tradition or belief when it would alleviate suffering.

ME: What quality do you admire most in a person, and least in a person?

I admire honesty because if you have that then the rest just falls into place. Least, I’d have to say insincerity which is really just the opposite of honesty in my opinion.

ME: If you could write any type of book (at any length) that would be a best seller, and it only took one day, what type of book would that be?

Hmm…I’d have to stick with Science Fiction. It never loses its relevance to me.
Favorite food?
 
See food – I see food and I eat it. All except mushrooms, orange juice with pulp and Cool Whip. Bleh!

Favorite movie?
 
Dune

Favorite fictional character?

 
That’s just mean. I can’t name only one!

 
Most memorable moment in your life?

 
Again, I could give a pat answer like my wedding day or the day my children were born but I try to remember everything and hold it close because I’ll never get a do-over.

Most regrettable moment of your life?

 
Too many to name but I’ve learned so I don’t really regret them all.

Most embarrassing moment of your life?

 
Oh, geeze you don’t want to know.

What person, either alive or dead, would you most like to meet?

 
Carl Sagan!

What would you wish to do with that person?

Talk, and talk and talk about anything and nothing for the sheer joy of wondering with a great mind.

Do you believe in fate?

I believe in hard work and coincidence. Fate has no proven place in my mind.

Well Vaun, that's all we have time for today, but I hope that you'll come back to see us again soon! I'm so happy to get to know you a little better. I have learned so much today. I wish you great success with your writing, your family and all that you do in life!  

 Here are two of Vaun's covers!

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy day to join us and answer some questions about yourself and your writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment